Thread: 223 vs 5.56
View Single Post
Old February 12, 2014, 10:05 AM   #43
Jimro

Quote:
Are you saying that ammunition makers and industry standard groups don't understand why the mismatch is a bad idea? Are you saying that they know why but have agreed to conspire to provide an false explanation for why the mismatch is ill-advised? Are you saying that they all independently came up with the same wrong explanation for why the mismatch causes issues? What is is that you disagree with and what is it that you claim?
What causes the overpressure, is it the chamber, ignition delay, secondary pressure spike, or some combination? Why do we sometimes see popped primers in 5.56 chambers with 5.56 ammo made by Radway Green? No mismatch there, but the same symptom as if there was a mismatch?

Quote:
I don't really understand why you're calling their credibility into question in the first place in spite of the fact that you haven't presented any evidence that disproves any of their claims.
No, I said you couldn't prove credibility and that without access to their data we don't see what they saw. Was it ignition delay, secondary pressure spike, etc. We can't talk about their data because we don't have their data to see where the pressure mismatch came in the firing cycle. So to say that the blame lies with the chamber when we have good data that 5.56 ammo in 5.56 chambers experiences ignition delays and secondary pressure spikes, and in the case of Radway Green pops primers, it adds nothing to understanding the problem.

Quote:
You have provided some alternate explanations for the issues that arise, some of which might make sense, some of which don't appear to be relevant given the other information available. But providing an alternate explanation/mechanism for an occurrence isn't the same as disproving the accepted explanation/mechanism.
In my experience, if it is a chamber problem then the issue shows up every time you pull the trigger. Excess headspace shows up every time you pull the trigger with factory ammo, tight neck issues show up every time you pull the trigger with factory ammo. So that "this CAN happen" doesn't indicate to me, based on the evidence available to me without having to take any experts word on the matter who won't share data with me.

Having processed and trimmed thousands of Lake City 5.56 brass I know that the neck lengths after full length resizing range from under SAAMI minimum to over SAAMI maximum. A long neck that creates a mechanical lock will cause a serious pressure spike, and I expect at least a blown primer and expanded case head from that event. With WC844 and WC846 there are known ignition delays as reported by DTIC. And there are known secondary pressure spikes with 5.56 ammo even in 5.56 chambers.

And we have seen that 5.56 ammo can pop primers even in 5.56 chambers. If we can't blame that issue on a 223 Rem chamber, what is the problem?

Jimro

Page generated in 0.02291 seconds with 8 queries