View Single Post
Old December 1, 2008, 12:25 AM   #21
Tennessee Gentleman

GC70 and anyone else;

Do you know of any other court cases that directly challenged the 1934 NFA and what the disposition was? I wonder if they were ruled out by the Miller decision? I will look as well.

Here are some related cases to Miller that I found:

Adams v. Williams (1972); (opinion by Rehnquist)
The leading case is United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174, upholding a federal law making criminal the shipment in interstate commerce of a sawed-off shotgun. The law was upheld, there being no evidence that a sawed-off shotgun had "some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia." Id., at 178. The Second Amendment, it was held, "must be interpreted and applied" with the view of maintaining a "militia."

Printz v. United States (1997) (opinion by Scalia) (Thomas, concurring)
Our most recent treatment of the Second Amendment occurred in United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939), in which we reversed the District Court's invalidation of the National Firearms Act, enacted in 1934. In Miller, we determined that the Second Amendment did not guarantee a citizen's right to possess a sawed off shotgun because that weapon had not been shown to be "ordinary military equipment" that could "contribute to the common defense."

Last edited by Tennessee Gentleman; December 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.02367 seconds with 8 queries