View Single Post
Old December 5, 2007, 08:03 AM   #14
Martyn4802

Some thoughts on set triggers.
First, the lock time with double set triggers is slower than molasses in Alaska, as compared to a good single trigger. Although you may feel that pulling the front trigger of a double set trigger, because it is less than a one pound pull, is going to provide for better accuracy, that isn't true when comparing it to a good Jewell trigger that breaks at 2 ounces; again because of very slow lock time with the double trigger set up. When you pull the front blade of a double set up, the break activates a kicker, which in turn releases the sear, kind of Rube Goldberg to me, and others too.
The single set triggers are better, but not in the same league with a good Jewell, or any other good aftermarket trigger available today, in terms of accuracy. I have three Canjar single set triggers and two CZ 527's with single set triggers and shoot all of them in the standard, non-set mode. This is because I can get "into" the pull in the non-set mode far better than the triggers when in the "set" mode. I just don't have the feel for the triggers in the set mode, even though they break at 13 ounces.
The very best triggers in the world are those German two stage triggers like the ones that FWB makes for their olympic air rifles like the FNB 603, and the Anschutz triggers like the 5018 on the Anschutz Model 54 22 Rimfire Silhouette rifles. They are the ultimate in trigger design, and fabrication. I owned both of these rifles previously.
For my personal sporting/hunting rifles, I like to work the single stage triggers to a good 18-24 ounce pull with no creep or post travel, just a great break. I do have rifles with 2 ounce triggers but they are target rifles. I have a pair of Martini's with triggers that break at a 7 ounce pull, and they are good enough to sleep with... Awesome!! No single set or double set trigger can match these triggers.

Martyn

Page generated in 0.02291 seconds with 8 queries