View Single Post
Old October 24, 2001, 09:34 AM   #2
David Scott

Even though the law here allows a CCW holder to use deadly force to stop a violent felony in progress, I decided when I got my permit that I would never draw a gun to defend someone else's money. That bank is insured, and the money's not worth starting a firefight with a lot of innocent bystanders to catch bullets or become hostages.

I would watch. If they just take the money and go, fine. I'd report every detail I noticed to the police. If they acted as if they were planning to hurt someone, though, I'd have to be ready. That means constantly re-evaluating the scenario for the best sequence to interdict the injury to innocents, and get at least one bullet in each of them quickly. Once that's done, re-evaluate and apply more Gold Dots as required.

If I do stay out of it and they just leave with the money, I would not be obligated by Florida law to disclose to the police that I am carying, but I would anyway. I think it's prudent, since there will be immediate suspicion if your weapon is noticed and you haven't said anything. I'd be legal, and since I did not take any action there would be nothing to indict me for. Our local LEO's are pretty cool with the whole CCW thing, so I wouldn't be paranoid about unjustified harrassment because I was carrying.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss

Page generated in 0.03400 seconds with 8 queries