View Single Post
Old September 26, 1999, 02:13 AM   #4
NJW

With Shotshells you are looking at 5 basic things. These are usually on the end flap of the box in large sized print:

GUAGE - Obviously tells you the guage. 12/16/20/28/410 are the most common. I am assuming you have a 12 ga. and most of my general comments are about that guage.

LENGTH - Tells you the length of the loaded round. Typical sizes are 2 3/4" and 3" although there is a 3 1/2" 12 ga. and the .410 comes in 2 1/2 and 3"

DRAM EQUIVELANT - Also written as DR. EQ. this tells you the power of the shell and this can vary depending on how heavy the payload is, size etc. Typical DR. EQ.'s are 2 3/4, 3, 3 3/4 and MAX. 2 3/4 is a standard power shell, 3 is is increased power and the 3 3/4 is a high base hunting load. I think the 3 3/4 is being replaced by MAX which is basically it is loaded as "hot" as possible within the cartridges' limitations.

OUNCES of SHOT - This tells you how much payload the shell is shooting. The standard loading for 2 3/4 12 ga. target loads is 1 1/8 oz. of shot. The heavy hunting loads typically are 1 1/4 oz and higher in a 2 3/4 hull. The 3 & 3 1/2 12 ga. hulls just give you a heavier paylod. On the ligher end of the spectrum there are 1 oz loads and 7/8 oz. loads that are sometimes called 24 gram loads. These have a small payload and get out to the target faster but they don't have as dense a pattern because they have less # of pellets.

SHOT SIZE - This just tells you what size your shot is. Chucko pointed you to the Federal site that shows you the different sizes. #9 is used for Skeet shooting, #8 & 7 1/2 is for trap and bird hunting, #6 and larger is for bigger birds like pheasant/
duck/geese.

NJW in AZ

Page generated in 0.03017 seconds with 8 queries