View Single Post
Old January 27, 2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Bart B.

UncleGrumpy comments; remarks:
Quote:
The intention of my current practice of partial neck sizing is to keep the case sized as close to the chamber as possible. But it's using an idea that introduces it own problems such as the loose press when not jammed up hard.
You'll get more accurate ammo if you full length size the case and set the fired case shoulder back a bit. That help center the shoulder on the case neck. And it improves feeding and extraction reliability. Loaded rounds don't need to be a "perfect" fit to the chamber anyway as far as diameters are concerned. Only the length from head to headspace point (rim thickness on a .303 Brit) and head to shoulder so there's not too much space between the case shoulder and chamber shoulder for rimmed bottleneck cases. Seating the bullet out to just barely toucn the lands when chambered is a good thing to do for the .303 if best accuracy's the objective.

Quote:
I have just finished looking at the Rcbs Precion Mic and the Redding shell holders and imediately see the advantages for case sizing.
They indeed are great things.

Quote:
As far as the crimping seating die (ie .303 British) that I do not crimp the projectiles, it takes 3/4 turn before the crimp stops touching the case, this works out at 0.054" using those useful diagrams. The Redding shell holders only go to 0.010" is there a solution to this?.
You don't need those higher shell holders to crimp case mouths. They're intended to be used only with full length sizing dies and are optional with seating dies. But I don't think you'll need to crimp case mouths on bullets; that only adds another variable to the round and rarely is needed at all.

Page generated in 0.03582 seconds with 8 queries