View Single Post
Old February 3, 2008, 04:28 PM   #4
rem870hunter

what shotgun are you using for the home? does it have a plain barrel with bead or a smoothbore slug type with sights? being its a 12 ga. i would say pattern it for whatever the max. distance plus 3-5 feet. try #1 0 and 9 ball 00 and 12 ball 00 buck. #1 buck according to gelatin test was shown to be the best with penetration and pellet count/pellet size ratio. take a piece of 8.5"x11" paper. aim for the center. fire 1 shot. count the number of pellets that hit compared to whats in the load. make a note of the brand size and pellet count of shell compared to what hits the paper. use what gives you the most pellets. for my 12 ga. 870 with smoothbore slug barrel with sights. until the sight screw loosened up . i had winchester super x #1 buck as the best at 10 out of 16 pellets inside the paper. at 18 yards. which is a little over what my max. distance would be in my home. i am taking another trip to the range in the next few days for another patterning test. and to get my sights back to where they were before.

Page generated in 0.03615 seconds with 8 queries