View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #18
bedbugbilly

Depends on the situation - if I'm using a bench to load at, it stays there and is covered up when I go to shoot. Usually, I load from a flask or a horn. If I'm loading from my pouch, the horn is swung behind me before I fire.

Glad the OP posted this - never hurts to have a safety reminder - regardless of how long a person's been shooting. It might do well to mention "smoking" as well . . . I've seen some pretty stupid things done over the years and I also remember a accident at a club I belonged to in the 60s where several folks were injuried and one killed by an open powder container.

I've chewed out more than one person for smoking while handling powder - even thought they were closed containers. Sometimes "you just can't fix stupid".

One thing to always be aware of when shooting and loading at a bench . . . and I've noticed this not only at Nationals but smaller clubs as well . . . at times you can't help but spill a few grains when loading - they can accumulate in cracks, etc. on the bench and even on the ground at the loading bench - be aware of that and cap your containers tight or secure them so a spark isn't going to cause a problem. Usually the "accident' that happens is the one you'd least expect.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03245 seconds with 8 queries