View Single Post
Old September 4, 1999, 10:21 PM   #6
Paul B.

Long range? Hmmm. Well, when it comes to long range shooting, I guess I'm pretty darn conservative. I like to keep it at about 200 yards, or preferably less. Can I hit farther out than that consistantly? Yes I can. I just don't care to if I don't have to. My longest shot on a deer was at 427 paces over a long swale. Straight line? Maybe 350-375 at most. This was with a Rem. 660 in .308 Win. I wouldn't have shot, except the two guys I was hunting with had hit it around the edges several times and it was wounded.
Longpath. I too have a shorty Ruger 44. Do you have any trouble with your 300 gr. bullets shooting high? Mine go about 6 to 8 inches high at 25 yards. They do that is all my 44's except a 629. I don't use it anymore. Too darn fragile. Might be great for 200 meter silhouette shooting, but I loaded them for bear during hikes. We have had bear problems on a local mountain, so I got the shorty for hiking. Much easier to pack than the 6.5 and 7.5 inchers. The front sight is high enough esthetically, but building it up would probably look like hell.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02333 seconds with 8 queries