View Single Post
Old July 11, 2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Shadi Khalil

I've owned two Kimbers in my life time, a ultra and pro. Both had all sorts of issues with feeding and extraction and both went back to Kimber more than once. The first one I bought was the ultra, I wanted a 1911 for carry and they came highly recommended from a trusted co-worker who loved Kimber and owned 4 of them.

The first time out was 50 rounds of FTF and FTE. I called Kimber the same day and the rep told me to shoot another 450 rounds through the gun and if I was still having problems, call them back. I didn't like the idea but I was new to 1911's and autos in general. Instead of doing the recommended 450, I shot 200 and still had a over 50% failure rate.

I called Kimber the next day and told the rep I had shot the recommended 500 rounds. Rather than tell me to send it in, the rep and the manager I asked to speak with afterwards both told me to go out and buy Wilson combat mags. I could not believe that they actually recommended I buy different mags because "the stock mags don't work to well in some Kimbers". So, foolishly, I went out and bought 2 new mags and the problem got worse.

Kimber reluctantly sent me a call tag and off it went. Two months later, after multiple calls and a lot of being lied to, the gun showed up on my doorstep. It was filthy and had no explanation of the work done. I immediately took it out and had the same issues. I sent it back again, received it one month later with the same issues. A week later I sold it, with full disclosure, at a huge loss.

This was quite some time ago (a little over 10 years) and I was not very hip to the forums. I got online, started researching and learned 3 inch 1911 are not the most reliable. So, like an idiot, I went out and bought the Kimber pro. Long story short, it was basically the same as the ultra.

I have never owned a Taurus 1911 but I have owned their revolvers. They ranged from complete disasters to some what acceptable. I can say that Kimber and Taurus are two brands that I would never in my life consider owning again. Take the advice of others and look at Colt or Springfield.

Page generated in 0.03595 seconds with 8 queries