View Single Post
Old August 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

USFA's own "management" (or lack of it), did them in; their quality was (IMHO) better than the Colts of that time.

As for a DA revolver, Colt did produce a modern gun, but chose to cancel it, partly because the Clinton administration made threats to shut down makers of concealable guns. (One result was the unfortunate S&W "lock", but that is another story; S&W is still in business, though under a different management.)

But unless Colt destroyed that tooling, they should be able to crank up revolver production fairly quickly; I don't know if doing that would pay off or not. My impression is that Colt still has the military/police mindset and has little or no interest in the civilian market. It will take something more than an old gun with a polymer frame to convince me otherwise.

I well remember when General Keys was brought in. I worked for DoD for 35 years and, believe me, the ONLY reason a company hires a retired general is so he will use his influence to get contracts from his former subordinates. He succeeded in doing that, but the company still markets two main commercial products - a 140 year old revolver design, and a 102 year old pistol design. That does not sound like the modern, progressive company that we have been repeatedly been told was on its way under new management team number 25486572.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02088 seconds with 8 queries