View Single Post
Old July 5, 2013, 09:28 PM   #109
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
...There's a line between civil disobedience and being a dink to get attention, and it's really not all that fuzzy.
And IMHO, Kokesh is so far on the wrong side of that line he can not be justifiably given any credence at all.

Folks, we in the RKBA movement really need to (1) start recognizing the importance of winning over public opinion; and (2) start to learn and understand how to actually do that. We have become masters at snatching defeat out of the jaws of victor.

I wrote this in a post in another thread:
Quote:
...I continue to be dismayed by the failure of so many in the RKBA community to recognize the importance of positively influencing public opinion or to have any real clue about how to determine how to go about doing that.

During the course of my career I've had a pretty fair amount of experience working with business clients who needed to be able to influence public perception, understand how to make advertising effective and find the best ways to effectively communicate their messages. When a lot was at stake, they didn't just guess or say "if it worked for Rosa Parks."

When they sat around their conference tables (I was there), they didn't assume that their audiences would think the ways they did or have the same values and perceptions. They consulted with psychologists and others who have studied human motivation and perception and beliefs. They thoroughly analyzed the demographics of the audiences and tried to understand what they cared about, what they were scared of, what made them happy or feel secure, what they believed and didn't believe.

They also tested their conclusions with surveys and focus groups. They paid attention to what was happening and made adjustments in their messages and techniques if things weren't working the way they wanted them to.

And I strongly suspect that our opposition is doing at least some of those things....
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03853 seconds with 8 queries