View Single Post
Old April 22, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1
rc

Reduction in Ruger Quality

I feel like Ruger has cheapened products that made the company great in order to maximize profits and come out with lesser models that stray away from traditional ruger quality. It seems like the current management is so greedy it will cut corners any way possible. We have seen this decline at Remington and now marlin.

Here are some examples:
Ruger 10/22 is a classic in all regards. First the stocks went from walnut to birch with plastic parts. Then the finish quality went as annodized gave way to painted receivers and then crinkle paint with rough barrels and plastic trigger guards and parts. I don't particularly care for the ruger extended mag release or the low quality of current 10/22s to buy a new one. I'd prefer a used scratched and dented older one to the current production rifles that now cost a lot more than competing products and give you get a lot less. It used to be that a 10/22 went head to head against Marlin Model 60s by being just a shade higher priced for a lot better gun. When you could get a marlin for $79.99 the Ruger 10/22 cost $99. Now the Marlin cost under $200 and the Ruger over $350. Ruger costs cannot have gone up that much compared to Marlin or Remington.

Lets also consider the 77 line. Finely polished rifles that could take customers away from the Winchester Model 70 in the 1990s by selling for a lot less gave way to bead blast rifles and cheap plastic stocks on stainless models. Now we have the Ruger American that goes head to head against Remington 710s and Savage Edge rifles while the lesser finished current 77s prices have been raised dramatically near Winchester Model 70 prices leaving the Howa 1500 as the industry leader for value in the $500 production rifle class.

While ruger changed back to polishing 10/22 barrels due to customer demand, they still haven't reversed course by eliminating the use of plastic on their guns or pricing their products so they are affordable to the common man like they did in the past. Ruger once represened an outstanding value for the dollars spent. I don't think that holds so true in today's market.

It seems to me that the more ruger has diversified products, the lesser the overall quality of the products coming out of their plant.

Page generated in 0.03931 seconds with 8 queries