View Single Post
Old February 28, 2009, 06:52 PM   #1
N00b_Shooter

Australian Gun Laws

I've had a few people PM me about gun laws down here in Australia, they wanted me to clear up the myth that guns are banned but we can still hunt. So i thought i would post my response here for those who are interested.

Pretty much we have 5 different licences, class A, B ,C ,D and H.

Class A licence includes Rim fire Rifles (Can't be Semi Auto), Air rifles, Paintball markers, Single shot shotguns.

Class B licence includes Center fire (Can't be Semi Auto) and Muzzle loading rifles.

Class C licence includes Semi Auto rimfire riflle (Can't be more then 10 shot), Semi Auto shotgun (Can't be more then 5 shot), Pump Action shotgun (Can't be more then 5 shot).

Class D licence includes Semi Auto Center fire (Unlimited capacity), Semi Auto rimfire (Unlimited capacity), Semi Auto shotgun (Unlimited capacity), Pump Action shotgun (Unlimited capacity).

Class H licence includes all pistols including blank firing pistols and air pistols.

Fully Automatic firearms are completely banned unless your military or police and even they arn't allowed to own one, they can just use the governments.

In our system if you get a class B licence (Like i have) they automatically give you every licence below it (So they gave me class A when i aquired my B licence)

It takes about 2 months minimum to get your firearms licence, you must attend a safety course and sit a test that you MUST pass to get your firearms safety certificate. You need that certificate before you can even apply for your licence, you also NEED to be a member of a shooting club or own your own property thats classed as rural land.

Class C and D licences are nearly impossible to get unless you are a proffesional shooter, a farmer, work for the government or your a disabled target shooter.

28 day minimum waiting period to get your licence, then its another 28 day waiting period for your first Permit to aquire (You need a permit to aquire for each firarm you want to purchase and pay $30 for each permit). Each firearm MUST be registered or it can be confiscated and you can be fined.

You also need a safe that is either bolted to the ground or weighs 330lbs and your ammo needs to be locked in the safe but in a seperate compartment with a different key. Your safe also gets inspected twice a year by the police. Any time your firearm or ammo is not being used or cleaned it MUST be in the safe. Bullet press and parts are ok to have out though. Safe requirements are much more strict for class C and D licences.

I dont have a handgun licence so i'm not sure on the Safe requirements for them but i know its more strict then rifle safes.

Other then that its ok, here in NSW there is no limit on Caliber but if you wanna shoot a .50 bmg it needs to be on large private property. i think we can own 30 guns each person and if we want more we have to get a dealers licence and the appropriate safe.

It sounds really strict and confusing but once you have your class A/B licence its fairly laid back.

Laws are slightly different in each state but the basic system is the same, just minor differences i think.

Hope that makes sence, any questions feel free to ask, this might be the direction the the US is moving (I hope not though, I'd like to go myself one day to try out some firearms that arn't legal here).

If any Aussies find something i said was wrong please tell me.

Page generated in 0.04006 seconds with 8 queries