Thread: suden reaction
View Single Post
Old July 15, 1999, 04:05 PM   #3
Skorzeny

Many:

Howdy! You are from Shooter's as well, aren't you?

Yes, forget TKD. It is next to useless in a real mano-a-mano fight. I learned TKD for over ten years including several years in Korea. I received my Dan directly at the World TKD Federation HQ in Korea.

Naturally, I also agree that you need to "finish" your opponent as quickly as possible. However, I take issue with the fact that it is because "you run out of oxygen and energy." That's a classic striking art mentality. While fights should be short, you would be surprised how long you can fight if you utilize the opponent momentum against him while preserving your own energy. Good breathing techniques help tremendously as well. The key is not to panic, calm yourself, relax your body, breath correctly and let your body respond instinctively through conditioned training.

One more thing: good choking techniques do NOT work through strangulation (deprivation of oxygen) as the latter takes too long. Good choking techniques involve the disruption of blood supply to the brain (by pressuring the arteries on your neck). A good choke should render your opponent unconscious in a few (3-4) seconds.

For someone who is overweight, I suggest Aikido first. Then once you get into better shape, augment it (or replace it) with Nihon Jujutsu or Brazilian Jujutsu.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Page generated in 0.02105 seconds with 8 queries