View Single Post
Old June 8, 2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Fishing_Cabin

this recent thread discussing open carry and the requirement to ID in some circumstances can add mroe light to the topic for you.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488986

Second, and to directly answer your question, it depends on the entirety of the situation if a person is required to ID his/herself. If its a consentual encounter, then no, a person is not required to ID him/herself. If a person is detained then generally yes, a person must ID him/herself (the laws on this vary depending on state).

Quote:
What possible positive outcome could there be of refusing to Identify yourself to police and they can clearly see you have a firearm?

Or is this just a cute trick conducted by people looking for a civil litigation claim at a later date??
There really isnt a positive out come for refusing to ID yourself, at least in my view. Also, if a person does not ID him/herself, and later decides to file a complaint against an officer, it may be harder to substantiate the claim.

Yes, in my view this is just an ego trip for certain people trying to "fish" for a payout since most town/city/county/state lawyers will figure the cost of a trial, even if it is a complete farce, and offer a payout to make the person go away in an attempt to save money in the long run. Personally I would prefer to see the town/city/county/state lawyers actually fight for a not guilty when it is clear the officer did the right thing, again in my opinion.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; June 8, 2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: edit first sentence

Page generated in 0.02076 seconds with 8 queries