View Single Post
Old September 13, 2007, 04:25 PM   #18
Samurai

As always, I agree with pax.

However, there is something to be said about "bread and butter." Most people (I have found), who enjoy training for those "exotic" situations will often devote an inordinate amount of time training for those situations, to the detriment of their more fundamental training. I see this in martial arts all the time. People want to train the flying, twisting, flipping, back-spin leaping kick of doom, but they won't spend any time at all training the basic side-block and reverse-punch. The side-block and reverse-punch are a fighter's "bread and butter;" they are the moves that will be called for 90% of the time. Statistics and probability therefore dictate that a trainer should spend the majority of his/her time on this basic combo.

I tend to think of pistol fighting the same way. Pax is definitely right: You should know how to shoot one-handed, and you should think about what happens if "Murphy" strikes. But, do not do so to the detriment of your most basic training. Practice basic firing and site alignment. Practice dry-firing. Practice the tap-rack, and the partial-feed jam clear. Practice basic draw-and-fire techniques. When things go wrong, these techniques are the ones that you will need to know FIRST.

Then, if you have any time left over, train in the more "exotic" scenarios...

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...

Page generated in 0.03213 seconds with 8 queries