View Single Post
Old June 29, 2000, 11:04 AM   #11
Turk

I think the reason as to why the Blazers use Berdan primers is all economics and marketing. The Blazers fit a niche in the market that gives non-reloaders economical priced ammo basically due to the aluminum cases.

If I remember right I think the Blazers are produced in Europe. (Maybe a Scandinavian country?). The Europeans use Berdan primers. Are they any better than a boxer primer who knows. I’m sure the Europeans will tell you they are better.

Berdan ammunition using brass cases can be reloaded. RCBS makes a deprimer tool. But to be quite frank it’s not work the trouble to reload Berdan primed cases.

Concerning reloading aluminum cases is it possible to reload? Yes, I did it years ago with 9mm Blazers but had to use boxer primers (just to see if it was possible).

You have to use a small punch to knock out the primer. If don’t have Berdan primers you’ll have to break off a small post that’s in the middle of the primer pocket so the boxer primer can be pressed in. Next is to resize the case minus the decapper assembly. Aluminum will resize. I’m quite sure you could also resize steel cases with the proper lubricant. I would think the steel case being resized with steel sizing die would wear the die very quickly.

MY ADVICE IS NOT TO reload the Blazer as there is really no reason with the available of brass cases. Another negative aspect maybe the strength of the aluminum case once fired then getting resized. DANGER cases splitting when fired I had a couple from the 50 I reloaded.

To me the Blazers are OK but I can reload and still save money. I agree with a couple previous posts that Blazers and AK /SKS shooters don’t tend to pick up their cases after a days shooting which leaves a mess.

You all have a good day.

Turk

[This message has been edited by Turk (edited June 29, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03168 seconds with 8 queries