View Single Post
Old July 24, 2013, 12:51 PM   #12
LewSchiller

The entirety of HB 1229 is here

Guidance to FFL's provided by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation is as follows -

(Note that while many think that you can buy a Curio / Relic without a BGC - that's only true if the buyer holds a C&R permit. I've had sellers at Gun Shows tell me that there wouldn't be a check because it's a C/R.)

If an FFL has received a denial on a background check requested pursuant to CRS 12-26.1-101 (i.e. on a transfer involving a firearm owned by a non-licensee), does the FFL have to request a background check on the owner of the firearm prior to returning it

Although Colorado law does not require it, the FBI and BATF attorneys agree that federal law requires it.

What if the prospective buyer and the non-licensed owner of the firearm are both denied?

This is a situation that is occasionally encountered by FFL's in consignment situations. Attorneys for the BATF have recommended that you treat this situation as you would with a consignment. (Comment: Which is what?)

Should an FFL collect a fee and conduct a check involving a non -licensed gun show vendor (seller) and a prospective buyer when the firearm is considered a curio or relic?

Although Colorado law allows a non-licensed gun show vendor to transfer a curio or relic without a background check, federal law requires an FFL to conduct such a check if the transferee is not a licensed collector

Page generated in 0.03369 seconds with 8 queries