View Single Post
Old December 14, 2012, 08:24 AM   #29
Misssissippi Dave

I don't figure the cost of equipment into my reloading. I could sell my press for what I paid for it today. In a few more years I will probably be able to sell it for even more. I think it will keep up with inflation or fairly close to it. Dillon's No B.S. warranty even transfers with the press.

I buy components in bulk so my prices are much lower that listed by in the OP. I don't load .45 apc hot so my cases probably get lost long before they wear out. I use WST powder and depending on the weight of the bullet used I average around 5 grains of powder per load. That means around 1400 loads per pound rather than 1000. Using Tula primers from Powder Valley and ordering enough to help out with HAS-MAT shipping brings down those cost as well. I order bullets on line in quantities of several thousand at a time. Another way to cut costs.

I did the math last year to see how long it would take to cover the cost of my equipment from the local price of ammo compared to what it costs me to reload. It came out to 7 months with a Dillon RL550b. Yea, I load quite a bit. When adding a caliber it takes less time and ammo to recover that cost. Even loading 9 mm is cheaper to do compared to factory ammo.

I get loads I like by reloading my own. I don't have to run all over town trying to track down enough ammo to make it fun to shoot for a few hours at the range.

I guess one day I will have to check out how much per hour I'm making reloading. I don't have to include the cost of equipment since it isn't loosing value. I don't have to count cases since they came from once fired brass (mine). It will be just bullets, powder and primers for my costs. I will have to look to see what ammo in the store costs now to figure the rest. I probably make more money per hour reloading than I do working at my job.

Page generated in 0.02001 seconds with 8 queries