View Single Post
Old February 26, 2014, 12:18 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
it would seem that there is a line drawn that manufacturers will not cross. I'm betting that smart guns, like microstamping, fall far beyond that line.
I'd say its more accurate to say there is a line that gunmakers will not willingly cross.

If its a choice between smart guns and no guns, as the maker, its no choice if what I want is to stay in business. I certainly am not going to do something to help you make my existing product line go away, but if you do manage that, I want something to fall back on. Otherwise, its close the doors and wave goodbye...

As to Ruger and S&W, and the CA microstamping law, it seems that on close inspection the situation is not exactly what the headlines infer.

It appears to be not so much a matter of the gunmakers refusing to do business in CA as much as it is CA refusing the gunmakers business unless they microstamp. And the gunmakers are saying "we are not going to do this just to make you happy".

Everytime one of these laws gets passed, be it smartgun tech, mag capacity limits, or whatever, everyone in the gun business has to evaluate the cost of compliance vs. the loss of business.

Today there are tons of things that are in the catalogs with labels that say "will not ship to CA, MA, DC, NY, NJ..etc.." Some of those things are even still legal in some of those places, BUT the cost of keeping up with all the regs, and the cost if they somehow make a mistake, has been weighed against the loss if they just blanket do not sell that kind of item in those states. And the decision, based on the bottom line was made.

Quote:
also would not buy from a company that would condemn entire states' populations for a few hundred thousand in profits!
I am really unclear what is meant by this.
Are you saying boycott the companies that comply with the law? Or the ones who don't?

I don't see any gun company condemning anyone to anything. If that is being done, its being done by the duly elected governments of those states.

Page generated in 0.04223 seconds with 8 queries