View Single Post
Old August 21, 2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Slamfire

Quote:
Until I see some documentary evidence to the contrary, I will assume that a ground "mum" indicates a rifle taken from depot storage and ground by the Japanese workmen before they were turned over to the Americans. Almost all of those rifles not retained by the US (some rechambered for .30-'06 and given to South Korean police) or brought home by GIs were destroyed

Sammi is still alive but I am not going to give you his phone number .

Sammi brought back a duffle bag load of Japanes weapons after the end of the war. When his troop ship docked in San Diego, every GI was forced to open their duffle bags for inspection. Sammi said there was a pile of grenades, mortars, and land mines that were taken away from the GI's.

Sammi had several rifles. He was told to get in a line and the crests were ground off by US personnel. He got his rifle back after the crests were removed.

These were battle field pickups, rifles that Sammi had personnally removed from Japanese dead at Okinawa.

There is a subset of Japanese rifles that the crests were ground by American authorities.

The rifles my Dad brought back, from a post war storage island in Toyko bay, the crests had all been ground before he got to them.

Page generated in 0.02176 seconds with 8 queries