View Single Post
Old August 7, 1999, 05:19 PM   #8
Sid Post

I don't have my B-27's handy so, can't quote figures in inches or shot patterns verbatim.

At under 7 yards, I want 100% of the pellets in the target, no flyers are acceptable. With #4's, the pattern was spreading so fast, that while I still had good density, pellets were leaving the "man's" outline while still on paper. Across a room without intervening by standers in the way, this probably doesn't matter but, if the range opened up a little you would need to execute a shell drill to put something appropriate in use or run the risk of having stray pellets flying past the target and picking up unexpected 'victims'.

Your shotgun may in fact handle the smaller pellets better then mine or, perhaps my criteria for "acceptable" for use is not the same as yours. It really depends on what you are trying to with the shotgun. I really like tight dense equally spread out patterns. With the larger size buck, I know I could pick off someone holding a hostage in the classic "peek-a-bo bad guy" scene because there are no flyers and I absolutely know how my shotgun will pattern 100% of the time and the total pattern size is not too large.

Sid

Page generated in 0.02332 seconds with 8 queries