Thread: Which one?
View Single Post
Old February 23, 2000, 06:07 AM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Now we've got a serious disagreement, Justin. Technology can never substitute for expertise. If someone is not competent with a firearm, the gizmos mean he can miss more times before reloading. Spray and pray is not a viable alternative in HD.

Take Joe Average with his 870. He goes after doves,squirrels, and rabbits with it.He takes it out a couple of time each year to shoot some clays with his buddies, and stokes it up with field loads in between. He's no Gunsite Grad, but he can operate that weapon in the dark,has built muscle memory and any burglar coming in has a serious problem. And, since he's not only used to the weapon, but has years of safe operation behind him, he's dangerous only to the right people.

I trained hundreds of rookies to shoot, and did the yearly requals also. Only those folks that shot shotguns recreationally moved past bare minimum competence,regardless of equipment.

On another note, in between getting that stuff for your Dad's 870, I hope you and him are going out and shooting some. I sure wish my Dad was still around so he could beat the pants offa me at trap or clays. He was the best wing shot I've ever seen.

Page generated in 0.02559 seconds with 8 queries