View Single Post
Old February 21, 2013, 09:31 PM   #6
jmstr

The problem with a weaker spring is that it will change the timing of the pistol. The spring weight slows the slide motion and all parts are timed to work with those weights. If you go from the 22lb [or is it 24?] Kimber compact recoil spring to a 18 or 16lb spring, the slide may move so fast that it causes more feeding/ejection issues.

And, it is more likely to cause a harsher perceived recoil due to the speed the slide is moving at, before it slams to a stop and moves forward.

And it can speed up the wear on the slide/frame/slide stop/etc, due to the increased velocity of the slide. I've heard of more slide stop problems with underweighted recoil springs and full-strength ammo.

Those who use lower-powered springs usually are combining them with reduced power loads, to maintain the same timing.

As for another semi-auto: I don't have any suggestions. Compact handguns generally have stiffer recoil springs as the spring has to arrest motion in a shorter distance. I have a Kimber Compact II and am familiar with the spring weight. I sold my Kahr K9 for financial reasons, but I'll tell you this: the K9 made the Compact feel like a full-sized 1911 by comparison. In other words, the K9 is MUCH stiffer than the Compact 1911 I have. Just like my Compact 1911 is stiffer than my full-sized 1911.

I've found older friends who have the same problem you are describing. I recommended a revolver. They tried a few and found the DA trigger pull to be too stiff also [SP101, GP100, Rossi 851, S&W 586]. The 5-shot LCR from Ruger was manageable, but barely.

So, moving to a revolver may not solve the problems: but just change which one is the problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by jmstr; February 21, 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.03470 seconds with 8 queries