View Single Post
Old March 27, 2013, 05:08 PM   #16
handlerer2

While lever, pump actions, semi-autos are perfectly serviceable for most hunting applications, bolt actions are IMO, more versatile especially if you reload. Semi-auto, pump, BLR, and 1895 Win are not as simple to service, more complicated and time consuming to disassemble. Pump actions and semi-autos require the reloader to use small base dies to prevent recoil from stripping the rims off of fired cases, especially in reloaded rounds. Factory ammo in suitable cartridges should be mild enough to reliably function in both if they are kept clean.

The Rem 7600 is not tube fed, but has a conventional magazine holding four rounds, as do the BLR and 1895 Win, so any bullet profile can be used.

I have owned and reloaded for Lever, Semi's, and bolt actions and prefer bolt actions for accuracy, I own 2 Weatherbys, 300WBY, and 340WBY, a Cooper MDl22 Montana Varminter 6.5-284, amoung others, but my first centerfire rifle rifle, that I reloaded for was a Marlin 336 30-30, that I bought in 1975. It was an excellent fun gun for shooting and perfectly suitable for deer at reasonable ranges, but can't compare with any of my bolt guns in accuracy.

You may find the entry level bolt guns more reasonably priced than the 7600 or BLR, and more accurate, as well as more user friendly.

Page generated in 0.03344 seconds with 8 queries