View Single Post
Old August 2, 2002, 03:21 PM   #5
GePZo

Jump into it!

It sounds like you're looking for a more traditional school, rather than a boxing gym. If I was going to give you one piece of advice, it would be to look for that when you're visiting schools.

Before you join any school or style, be sure to visit first, watch a class or two, and see if you'll be comfortable there. A lot of places offer free introductions, take them up on the offer and then select your favorite.

As far as myself, I walked into a traditional Korean martial arts school about 6 years ago and joined for a 2 month trial period. I've stuck with it, and have had a lot of fun training, learning, and teaching martial arts, and have met some good people there. Definitely changed my life from a bored, lazy, shut-in geek to a sociable, very active geek!

Be sure to ask about weapons before you sign up. It was important to me, too, as I've been in schools where you don't learn any weapon until you're a black belt, and that takes years. The school I'm at now starts teaching weapons at the second belt, slowly, and then picks up more at higher ranks.

Also, find out about sparring, how they run it... different schools have different amounts of contact... going to work with a black eye is no fun, but some people prefer some contact over no contact at all. This is something you're probably going to want to see for yourself. It could also be a good indicator to the relative skill and energy level of your soon-to-be-fellow students.

Gepzo

Page generated in 0.03400 seconds with 8 queries