View Single Post
Old November 1, 2001, 09:22 AM   #14
Guyon

Quote:
Wear two or three pairs of really thick socks.
Rebeldon, I have to respectfully disagree with this advice. It may work well for you, but in my experience lots of thick socks = cold feet. This is especially true if you're talking about cotton or cotton blends.

A big mess of socks simply traps moisture next to your feet, and when that moisture gets cold, your feet are never going to warm up until you get back to a heat source.

I recommend a good boot for starters--one with a fair amount of Thinsulate. As far as socks, most hikers and hunters in the know will opt for a thin poly liner sock that wicks away moisture. Then, on top of the liner, wear a quality wool sock, or at least a wool blend. Wool also keeps moisture away and is an excellent insulator.

I've also had a bit of luck with the chemical warmers you stick to your sock. They last for a while--sometimes the entire hunt.

For the butt, take a good pillow that will keep your backside insulated. And for the head, I recommend one of the hunter's ski-masks that covers everything but the eyes and nose opening. For the body? Good coveralls. Walls makes some good stuff in various grades. For cold weather, use their "Blizzard" line.

Page generated in 0.03522 seconds with 8 queries