View Single Post
Old August 9, 2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Tedbytes

RCBS Summit Press revisited

I made a cursory review of the newly introduced RCBS Summit Press earlier this month and have a short update. My call to ATK-Huntington-Speer-RCBS et al did not go un-rewarded. Currently as I speak, I am awaiting modified parts that should rectify my previously commented "sloppiness" regarding the die stage and linkages. The main issue as I have determined are the two 3/8-24 threaded and tapered set screws with lock nuts attached to the back of the massive Summit Ram. My new press was received with these two set screws barely in the .313" machined key way slot. The concept being that the ends of the mentioned set screw being machined and turned down in diameter at the end facing this key way slot,ride the key way slot for guidance. The concept is good only if the tolerances are followed. I received an exact .313" slot,top to bottom on my new press originally. The whole issue is that the turned down end that rides the slot is .307" allowing .006 difference when magnified at the die platform , induces much wobble or sloppiness as first described. If my new parts,the set screws, are a standard .307", I can always turn a grade eight 1" long setscrew down to .3125" or so. I hesitated bottoming the original undersized supplied screw against the bottom of the key slot as this wear over time will present other issues. It is far easier to replace screws than to re-mill the key way slot. Remember to keep all moving parts well lubed. So far I have over 11,000 decapped and sized 380,9mm and 30 Luger brass loaded these last three weeks and no wobble as I have made my own guide screws,and all dies hit the case mouth straight on with no dings. Ted Bates

Page generated in 0.02328 seconds with 8 queries