View Single Post
Old March 25, 2012, 12:36 AM   #36
Rangefinder

I gave up trying to calculate this years ago. I've been reloading for 20-something years now. Here's how I look at it. my equipment has been paid for a hundred times over. I have the ability to walk out to my shop and load over 10K worth of ammo in about 2-dozen different cartridges if I wanted to. That's all shooting that I can essentially do for nothing but my time involved in loading. I also cast for most of my rifles and all of my handguns. I have about 1500 pounds of usable alloy once I smelt down and clean everything I have. Other casters would probably have fits over it but I have so much that I use 3 5-gallon buckets of WW alloy for weight in the bed of my truck during the winter because it's just extra. Mu handguns break down to $0.04 to $0.06 a shot average. Even my powder-hog rifle loads at match grade long-range quality are working out to about $0.60 a pop on the top end. The bottom line is the only way I shoot what I shoot is to load it myself. One stop into any sporting goods store will confirm that in a second with sticker-shock for the price equal factory ammo against what I can do for pennies on the dollar while doing what I really enjoy. That part of it is priceless.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Page generated in 0.02336 seconds with 8 queries