View Single Post
Old February 1, 2014, 06:09 PM   #90
dakota.potts

At least you are not completely hypocritical. I can't stand people who call hunting immoral and evil yet eat slaughterhouse meat.

Humans eat meat. It is no more immoral than the cat that eats the mouse or the wolves that eat livestock. In fact, did you know cats kill over a billion lizards each year and are considered one of the biggest ecological concerns to small reptile species and will kill things as large as chickens just for the thrill of killing and often ignore eating them?

I guess the question is if you think we have some responsibility not to kill things because we're smarter than them and we can subsist off of a vegetarian/vegan diet. If you want to do so, more power to you. My girlfriend is a pescatarian and only gave up veganism because it's so hard to always find vegan meals in our current society. I am a meat eater of all sorts, including that which McDonald's sticks on a bun and calls meat.

I have thought about switching my meat diet to that which I can exclusively catch and hunt, but I suppose that's getting off topic.

I'm not sure what it is that's unethical about hunting. Is it the killing of an animal? Animals die and they have always died. There have always been predators and there have always been prey, and that dichotomy will likely never disappear. Deer populations overgrown result in people being trampled or cars hitting deer in the road. Wolves and coyotes will take livestock while boar will destroy land.

In all of this, in the hunting in USA, there are strict limitations in what can be hunted, with what, when, and in what amount.

I don't see what about hunting you suppose is unethical - unethical hunting is unethical. That is, riddling a deer with bullets that you can't properly place, taking an animal out of season without necessity, poisoning populations, etc All huntsmen should strive to hunt ethically with clean kills and make as much use of the animal as possible - but even if they don't make use of it, the environment will. Scavengers will eat the bits some hunters find undesirable, cleaning it down to bones which will then be reabsorbed into the earth as nutrients. The animal will be used.

Page generated in 0.02193 seconds with 8 queries