View Single Post
Old June 4, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Hearing about AA#7 not giving good accuracy in .357 Magnum is a bit unusual. Comparing it to W296 that only allows a 3% variance in powder charge is probably not a fair one until you've dialed in on an accuracy load with AA#7. With the 158 gr. XTP, Lyman loaded a full grain heavier than the Accurate data and they both use a magnum primer. You might want to get the Lyman 49th or the P&R III if you don't have them.
It's not even a little bit unusual. Not every powder gives an accurate load in every caliber gun. "Dialing in" isn't something that can be made to happen at will. AA7 just never performed for me and I've spent a LOT of time at the bench working up different loads for quite a few factory stock and custom built revolvers. Even had a custom built Coonan a few years ago. It's just never been the optimum powder in any gun I've owned. My experience has been that 296/110 has worked the best and 2400 is a pretty close second choice for accuracy. I had two Davis built revolvers that would shoot sub 1" at 50yds with a Hornady 158 XTP, and those were five shot groups, not three shot. I have every current and past loading manual available so getting data hasn't been my problem. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm sure the intent was good.

Page generated in 0.02728 seconds with 8 queries