View Single Post
Old January 18, 2007, 02:29 PM   #4
cloudcroft

chris21908,

If they have the paper base-wads in them, NO, they are not...sort of!

CAUTION RELOADING/SHOOTING SHELLS WITH PAPER BASE-WADS!

I mean that the paper base-wads found in some Federal shotgun ammo can detach and go down the bore, sometimes staying IN the bore...BAD NEWS when you fire the next shot.

Yes, I have seen this happen, it's not hearsay or what something I read in a forum.

Consequently, I would DEFINITELY NOT use them in repeating shotguns where you can not check the bore after a shot, but WOULD (and *I* do myself) use them in double-barrel/single-shot shotguns where after shooting, you break it open and can glance down the bore to BE SURE no "doughnut" base-wad is in the bore BEFORE putting in another round.

Usually, the base-wads will start detaching after only a few reloads but it's best to treat these kind of shotshells differently right up front to avoid problems. I would say that this WILL happen if you shoot these kind of reloads...not a matter of IF it will happen but WHEN.

So for safety's sake, reload them all you want (they do require a bit more powder so be sure to to check that) but use them only in single/double barrel shotguns and check the bores when reloading them with fresh rounds.

AND, when you reload the cases, BE SURE the paper base-wad is STILL THERE! If not, destroy them so no one else can reload them and throw them out.

-- John D.

Page generated in 0.02751 seconds with 8 queries