View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #42
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2
...I have shipped many various things over the years and I don't think I have ever been asked what is inside. If it is legal for me to ship a pistol to an FFL are the shipping police going to bust me?...
The UPS and FedEx tariffs cited by me above include a number of requirements the shipper must satisfy for the carrier to accept, transport and deliver a package containing a firearm. These are part of the contract between the shipper and the carrier.

As such if you ship something by UPS or FedEx and have not complied with those requirements, you have breached your contract with the carrier. One possible consequence is that if your shipment is lost or damaged, UPS or FedEx, as the case may be, would have legal grounds upon which to avoid any insurance claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesure
...How would this apply to ammo?...
However, certain requirement regarding the shipment of ammunition are not purely the carrier's requirement. They are legal requirements arising from Department of Transportation regulations.

Additional information may be found here, here and here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 12, 2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Clarify

Page generated in 0.02459 seconds with 8 queries