View Single Post
Old November 29, 2000, 11:50 AM   #10
Glamdring

JMC: What techniques have you tried for your loads? If I understand you right your saying the best loads for your 7STW are over MOA? Have you tried changing OAL of cartridge a bit? Are you sure it isn't the gun or scope? I am just curious. I assume the barrel is free floated? If so, sometimes adding a pressure point will help. BTW have you tried RL 22? What will the gun do consistently? 1.25 MOA?

HankL: Are you talking a 24" or 26" brrl?

I am still collecting info so I don't need load data yet...haven't picked a caliber yet. Just trying to get a feel for what the real world performance and capability for these various cartridges are.

I look at what the ammo companies claim their velocity is for a given load. And I look at the various loading manuals, grrr, some loading manuals have weatherby cartridges at same level as shorter magnum. Or the Barnes manual I have list 270 Weatherby specs that are no different than a 270 Rem.
As to the Ultra cartridges I think they are a good idea, but they are to new for my taste. I don't want to have to work hard to find quality components. One of the reasons I think the 300 Win is the logical choice. You can get premium & Match grade loaded ammo, bullets, or brass no problem in that caliber. But you can't in 7STW. You could form 270 Weatherby from match 300 Win cases I suppose but I don't know if that is really a winning proposition?

Page generated in 0.03445 seconds with 8 queries