View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 02:10 PM   #24
Hummer70

I have been around this block a few times so will relate my experience with 336 in 35 Rem using pistol bullets.

Sierra .357 180 gr FPJ Match which is a flat nose handgun bullet. Note this bullet and the Sierra 158 gr are listed in Sierra loading manuals for the 358 Winchester and the 35 Whelen loadings.

First off you have to load the bullet LONG as seating it to the cannelure will allow two rounds to be released from the mag tube with the lifter in the pre carry up position. Thusly read the OAL of the 35 Rem and load it accordingly.

Next I figured out the factory chamber for 35 Rem has almost no throat and the 357 bullets jammed into rifling as bolt went into barrel seating the bullets back a goodly amount. This is OK if you are never going to unload your rifle and attempt put that round back in the feed tube because if you do you will get the double load scenario mentioned above.

To cure this I have a 35 cal throater reamer and I put it on a long T handle and "throated" it out to where the full length load 180 gr bullet would just contact rifling with bolt in battery which works very well.

My load is 38 gr. 4895. Cost of reloading is probably 75% less than buying 200 gr. factory ammo which I also noticed was available in 150 gr. loadings.

Bottom line is you can load pistol bullets in 35 Rem cases and they will work and work even better after a bit of throating.

Page generated in 0.02546 seconds with 8 queries