View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Webleymkv

Quote:
Seriously though, while I didn't have high expectations for this task force, I certainly hoped they would have at least tried a little harder to hide their predetermined conclusions.
I really don't think that Biden's that creative. As I've stated elsewhere, if President Obama really wants to do something with gun control, Joe Biden was the wrong pick to head the panel. Biden is and always has been very "in your face" on various issues which includes being openly, almost rabidly, anti-gun. If the President wanted to sway some fence-sitters to support gun control (and he'll have to in order to get anything meaningful done), then someone who is more moderate on the issue and has some mainstream appeal would have been a much better choice.

Honestly, the longer this goes on the less I think the chances of any significant new gun control happening are. Biden's primary role within the administration has always seemed to be rallying the base rather than winning over fence sitters (and the President has had trouble with his base over gun control). The fact that Biden's already talking about executive orders is, I think, somewhat telling as the scope of gun control that can be accomplished through EO is severely limited. While we still need to remain vigilant by keeping pressure on our elected officials, anything major needs an act of congress and the fact that Biden's already talking about EO's tells me that they don't have the support in congress for significant new gun control.

Page generated in 0.07587 seconds with 8 queries