View Single Post
Old March 21, 2001, 06:33 PM   #10
Hot Core

300Mag's(Jamison) Article - HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey Redneck2, I understand your concern about doing what you can to extend the life of your barrel. I've asked the same question concerning Powders to the folks who make it and they seem to think it is a wash. Apparently the Ball Powders "might" be a bit more abrasive when hitting the edges of the Lands, but it is offset by the lower temperature. And of course, just the opposite for the Stick Powders, slightly less abrasive, but higher temperature at full pressure.

I have a particular rifle that I really dread the day when I finally need to change the barrel on it. It just shoots most any bullet/powder combination very well. So, in order to extend the life of my barrel(s), I decided to Moly Coat all my rifle bullets.

The article in Precision Shooting that "Pampers" provided the link to is the very best one I've read on the subject. It is quite lengthy and goes into great detail, but is well worth the read. In fact, it is well worth writing down the link so you can get back to it whenever you want to.

Be sure to notice the number of rounds NORMA fired through the "hot 6.5mm" without degrading the accuracy. Then find anyone who does not use Moly and shoots a lot, then ask them to explain what an amazing accomplishment that is.

As Pampers mentioned, an "OUTSTANDING" side benefit is the ease of clean-up. And don't let anyone mislead you into thinking you no longer need to clean your barrels if you go to Moly. That is not true. You still need to clean them after shooting. I still lube the barrels after I clean them, but I now use a Moly containing grease.

Hey labgrade, Old 300Mag(aka Jamison) writing about Moly is an article well worth being skeptical about. A buddy of mine told me about the articles, so I actually wasted some money and bought those two issues. Having looked Jamison's two-part article over and comparing it to my experience with Moly Coated bullets is quite a contrast. No doubt in my mind at all that he wrote what he saw, but it appeared he gave it his usual "half-Clintoned" approach.

Back when he first started with that Gun Rag, he skewed comparison test results to make rifles compared with his beloved 300WinMag appear less than they really were. The sad thing is, that he didn't have to do it, because the 300WinMag is a great cartridge. But, for those of us out here in the world that really knew what he was doing, our respect for his opinion concerning other cartridges was seriously degraded.

That is not to say he does not occasionally write a good article, and the real shame is the "beginners" don't know enough to know when he is pulling a "Clinton" on them. Just a darn shame.

Anyway, I'd recommend anyone who is seriously interested in firearms go read the article that Pampers provided the link to (a couple of times). Other than "not shooting", Moly Coating bullets is the best way I've seen to extend barrel life.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Page generated in 0.02363 seconds with 8 queries