View Single Post
Old July 31, 2001, 02:57 AM   #20
Rainbow Six

Here's a tip...

It has been proven (can't quote the study sources from memory) that distraction/attention division is a great defensive (and offensive!) tactic. It throughs the attacker's brain into neutral, so to speak. Yelling *anything* off the wall will give you some time and even the odds somewhat.

I know Cops who have screamed "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells...!!!" at top voulme when trying to cuff a less than cooperative suspect. While they are thinking, "Jingle Bells? This [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] is crazy!" their minds can't think with any clarity of focus, "He's trying to cuff me!", at the same time. It works...

Also, in combat, both participants "expect" certain things from their opponent. An attacker generally expects one of four things.

1- A retreat by the defender away from the attack, or "Run!".

2- A lateral move to sidestep the attack, or run for escape/cover, or "Oh [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], it's on!!".

3- A frontal assault toward the atacker, or "Rush that bastage!!".

4- Nothing, or

Do something, ANYTHING they are NOT expecting! One option (maybe not the best by any means) is to go to the ground and defend with your feet. This let's you use the strongest muscles in your body, the legs, against the attacker. Your legs/feet will most likely be cut but you will most likely have a bigger impact on the attacker with each blow. The length advantage (of most people)afforded by the legs as opposed to the arms might also help keep the knife away from vital areas

Of course, screamin' Jingle Bells at high volume while you take your course of action will add to the surprise/distraction of the movement, making it even more effective in giving you mental advantage. When I have drilled on these tactics, these actions were preliminary to drawing my pistol. The "Go to ground" tactic could be quite effective when faced with a close quarters knife threat if you are armed with a handgun. I'd suggest practicing going to the ground quickly and then drawing.

Just some survival tips I've picked up over the years in LE.

R6

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02798 seconds with 8 queries