View Single Post
Old March 25, 2000, 11:21 AM   #11
Harlequin

well, in mike H's defense, there is a difference in producing a rifle and designing a rifle... and as far as i know the design for the sa80 was done by enfield in the 70's as far as i know (based on their post-ww2 bulpup design) i could be wrong on my previous statement, but i agree on the statement that it is a poor weapon... did a weapon "recognition" program in 97 where we had to learn to operate and disassemble/assemble, amongst others, the sa80... accuracy was ok compared to the other weapons, but dismanteling the thing was a bloody nightmare... i don't think i've seen a "modern" standard issue weapon with so many parts to keep track of...

as for my own favorites, i go for the hk53 or g3...
even though the g3 is heavy compared to an m4, i know the g3 will never fail to feed a round because of a mag the didn't go all the way up, and the g3/hk53 will not start to bleed exess gass past your eyes after a magazine or two of rapid fire as the m4 will (ie in an immediate action drill/peel-off)..

(and no, i don't think you should have to whack the base of the magazine for each fresh insert just to be sure... it takes time, and if you have to change a mag, you probably don't have that much time.. big design flaw in my eyes, just like the number of parts on the sa80)

Page generated in 0.02146 seconds with 8 queries