Thread: Backup for Bear
View Single Post
Old October 15, 2009, 08:04 AM   #13
300magman

Sounds like 3" 00 buck is the winner. Now to try a few shots and see how it handles in the gun...and see if it kicks as bad as the reviewers on Midway seem to suggest. (Can't possibly be worse than 3.5" BBB black cloud)
I wonder would 3.5" buckshot loads firing more lead but at slower velocity have a longer "more push like" recoil than the 3" buckshot with significantly less lead going several hundred fps faster.

Oh, as to the "backup gun" being a 12 guage, that is just what we have. We could use either a .308 or 30.06 deer rifle but both are clip fed, and are prone to jamming as the clips are getting old and worn or we could use my extremely long heavy 1917 30.06 or 300rum sendaro...I prefer the quickness of handling, sureness of reliability, and speed of follow up shots that comes with the 12 guage pump...plus we carry them anyway and hunt birds on the drive out to our deer/bear territory.
Its about practicality, not about "huh huh huh, dis here big 12ga boom stick make bear dead, huh huh"

Honestly, I've hunted 15 years without a single follow up shot on anything but a big moose at long range with softpoint ammo from my 30.06 Something tells me the bear won't be any different when the hammer on the 45-70 drops.

Page generated in 0.03040 seconds with 8 queries