View Single Post
Old September 4, 2013, 11:18 AM   #5
NWPilgrim

Given the circumstances you did the right thing and it worked out for you.

But if you were cornered it depends and whether you fear grave bodily harm or death from the attack. As I understand it, multiple attackers can be justification for such fear of grave harm, or an armed attacker. I think it would depend on how serious the attack is. are they small rocks, kids just harassing? Or, teens getting out of control and determined to seriously hurt you? gravel pebbles is one thing, but even one large rock can do serious damage if it hits your head or throat. A crowd can escalate violence without warning so it can be a fine line.

The main thing is that you have to determine that to your own satisfaction for your own moral peace of mind, and a police officer and/or jury will decide if you were in reasonable fear and acted in self-defense.

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer as circumstances can vary a lot and the threat can be interpreted different ways. That is the very serious side of carrying a self-defense weapon.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.02262 seconds with 8 queries