View Single Post
Old March 26, 2007, 11:43 AM   #4
rem33

Quote:
Hauling a 150 lbs deer out in a canoe can be challenging
One good thing is all the weight of the animal is in the bottom of the canoe, helping balance plenty..
I have taken deer and one elk across a river with my canoe. With two guys the deer was easy but we had calm water.

The elk was a different story. It was the South Fork of the Payette River and kayakers Paradise. Lucky it was straight down the mountain to a calmer area of the water. And buy cutting the elk in half we were able to make it across in two trips. You wore Life jackets for durn sure as the water was just 3 or 4 inches from the gunwale of the canoe. Low enough it was a concern with two guys and half a elk inside. Then we had to drag it hundreds of feet till with a couple of ropes and the winch I was able to hoist the half a elk at a time up the hillside.

Took two days to get that animal home. It was shot one day about noon and was close to dusk by the time we had it down to the river. So we layed it on its back with sticks to hold the ribs open for the cold air to help keep it cool, cover with driftwood and my shirt to try and help keep critters at bay. It was afternoon the next day by the time we got home.

Did this several years back with my Dad and it is a memory I will never forget.

Page generated in 0.03053 seconds with 8 queries