View Single Post
Old February 12, 2013, 12:14 AM   #47
db4570

An update, for anyone who's interested.

The pawn shop sent me the wrong gun, I think in a deliberate bait-and-switch. They advertised the Bersa Thunder 380 Concealed Carry, I called and ordered it, being very specific that I wanted the CC model and not the regular one, and they shipped me the regular 380. I may have a local guy who wants the gun for what I paid for it, so hopefully I won't have to send it back.

It is a sweet gun, though. Just not enough smaller than the S&W CS9 that I also recently picked up. It's actually a little longer than the CS9, a little slimmer, and noticeably lighter. If they were the same caliber, I would probably pick it over the CS9. (I also think it's better looking.) But the CS9 shoots that full 9mm which is so much hotter than the 380. I may still keep my eyes open for a CC to see if it is much smaller than the non-CC, but I have a feeling it also won't be small enough to justify the smaller cartridge.

The CS9 is built like a tank. It's a bit top heavy, which makes the whole gun feel heavy. All its weight is in the top end; remove the slide, and the frame weighs nothing. I was amazed that my .38 5 shot snubby was heavier.

I don't like that I can't cock the hammer. This might have been a deal-breaker if I had realized it before I bought it. I can't believe I missed it. Now I'm starting to appreciate the gun, though, and think that replacing the hammer with one with a spur would be pretty easy. And I want different grips. The stock Hogue is plump and ugly.

Shooting impressions: none! My friend who's property I shoot at hasn't been available, so I haven't been able to even try the 9 yet. The 380 I won't shoot because I want to keep it brand new for return or sale.

I am waiting on two IWB holsters for the 9 to see how it carries and conceals. It's a little bigger than I had imagined, but hopefully when I start shooting and carrying it I will get more comfortable with it. I is a really neat gun with an enthusiastic cult following.

So thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and I'll report back with more about my experience looking for my perfect carry gun.

David

Page generated in 0.02532 seconds with 8 queries