View Single Post
Old March 8, 2014, 12:41 AM   #65
Blue Duck

It stands to reason that cop shootings will average out at longer distances then civilian shootings, because for one thing it's probably the goal of the bad guy to get away, so he will probably be opening the distance instead of closing the distance, and also I think we can safely assume that it's very rare, for a bad guy to attempt to rob a cop, and to rob someone, it's usually necessary to close the distance. Of course a lot of cop shootings are close anyway, because the officer has closed the distance, still the averages would be longer.

Civilian shootings would average much closer in general, because most of the time the perpetrator will close the distance at first, unless met with armed resistance, otherwise a gunfight will probably not happen in the first place. It's true that a lot of residential and business shootings will happen after someone goes and gets their gun from maybe even another room, etc. and that will involve all sorts of firearms, both long and short.

On the street, most shootings involving a robbery victim are probably at just beyond arms length, and the victim is already behind the curve, by the time the shooting starts, with the dirtbag already at close range, with gun or knife in hand, if not already actually clubbing or grappling the victim. In this case, I see the victim needing immediate access to a short barreled foolproof handgun, and it probably doesn't have to be that accurate but accuracy never hurts. IMHO a 38 snub in a strong side holster is just about perfect in this case, but that's just my opinion, and I carry all sorts of handguns as a civilian depending on wardrobe, my activities planned for the day, etc.

Page generated in 0.03707 seconds with 8 queries