View Single Post
Old November 15, 2009, 05:29 PM   #8
jgcoastie

You could build your own...

You'd basically build a box with a door out of 2x4/2x6 frame (you could use a steel frame if you have welding skills) and affix multiple layers of 3/4" sheetrock. Most safe companies use sheetrock panels inside steel "shells" for their safe walls/doors b/c of its low rate of heat transfer.

If you have considerable welding experience, you could do the same thing using regular cold-roll steel for high fire protection and security.

If not, then the "shell" which effectively "sandwhiches" the sheetrock could be constructed of concrete board (DUROCK makes some of the best stuff out there).

The problem of course lies within the joints of the structure. You would have to stagger the layers of sheetrock with tape and joint compound in between all joints to maintain fire protection. You would also have to stagger the layers of the door for the same reason.

You can make it as secure as you like, depending on your level of welding/cutting skill. You will want to enlist the help of a couple of buddies if you are lacking in the necessary skill sets to complete this type of project.

Most will opt to just buy a safe, but I like doing things the hard way... It allows me to have a secure safe that is protected against fire or theft just as well as any safe I could not afford to buy, while having all the features that again, I probably couldn't afford.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Page generated in 0.02439 seconds with 8 queries