View Single Post
Old August 28, 2008, 05:06 AM   #33
threegun

DA,
Quote:
there's a reason why virtually every military of any note has changed ammo is going to lighter, smaller rounds for general purpose use and nobody is going up to the .308.
Comparing military needs to civilians needs isn't realistic. The odds of me ever needing 300 plus rounds of rifle ammo is remote to say the least.

All the other stuff you listed were high on my list and the reason the 223 was my choice for so many years. Things are changing now however. I'm not as mobile as a decade ago despite switching to the lightest rifle out there and removing some of my load weight.

As I try to imagine what types of threats I may face, threats like riots, looters (live in hurricane Florida), and gang attacks (gang activity increasing daily in my area), a few things keep popping up. I'm not going to need 300 plus rounds of ammo and I might need to penetrate vehicles and/or building material to eliminate a threat that has taken cover.

If the 308 AR doesn't buck as much as an M1A1 or your M1 Garand I'm thinking that it might fit my needs better. Follow ups won't be as fast and ammo levels as high but hits would be more effective and cover less protective.

Page generated in 0.02983 seconds with 8 queries