View Single Post
Old September 9, 1999, 02:46 PM   #11
DOCSpanky

Oh GOD!
Here it is plain and simple. Set a barrier in your house, i.e. stairwell or long hallway leading to bedrooms. Let that be your line. "RETREAT" behind that line, i.e. to your safe room. Yell, scream and cuss at the intruders that you have contacted Law Enforcement and are awaiting their arrival. If they reply they have cut your phone lines or if the phone is dead, tell them you used your cellular even if you don't have one. Keep your line in mind, and if they cross it, COMMENCE FIRING! I live in a 2 story apartment, my line is the landing to the stairs. I can assume a relatively safe position with a good field of fire there. My stairway doubles back with the lower and upper stairways perpendicular to each other. Therefore there is only 1 way upstairs. I have intentionally left nothing of value upstairs, i.e. nothing but guns&family upstairs. (exception a circa 1980 VHS player and a 13 inch TV) This will be my defense in court. The only thing upstairs is alot of blazing hot lead. I did however recently make a change to my defense ammunition. I was using 3" #4 buck in my MOSSBERG 500, and Winchester Silvertips in my Govt. 1911. After reading several articles, (G&A, firearmstactical.com, American Rifleman, & many others) I switched to 2 3/4" shells with #6 shot, and to the Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok.
I still am a firm advocate of using only shotguns inside the home and the pistol as the last line of defense. NEVER USE A RIFLE INSIDE! Defense of your home should be a priority, but it should be done smartly.
Plan your home's defense to perfection. Put it on paper anything you can do to prove to a judge you had drawn the line and that nothing was arbitrotal (I slaughtered that word)in the defense of your home and family. Simple questions to ask yourself:
1. Have I done everything to prevent someone from getting in my home in the first place?
a. Deadbolts
b. Broom handles on sliding doors with the opposite side screwed shut.
c. Alarms (if possible)
d. Exterior lighting
e. Door chains
f. All windows verified locked with dowel rods in place.

2. Do I have an alternate escape route?
a. Back Door
b. Window

3. Phone in every room?
a. A cheap phone is $9.99 @ Wal-Mart

4. Do I have a plan?
a. The barrier
b. Written down for court

5. Do I have the tools?
a. Shotgun in good working order
b. Handgun for last line of defense
c. Rifle..... NEVER!!!!!!!!!