View Single Post
Old October 7, 2012, 09:12 PM   #7
tahunua001

that is the largest drawback of the enfield. it seems like every factory that made them had slight differences that completely took interchangeability off the shelf. as for the designations
NO1MKIII is the most common of the NO1 variants made by all major members of the british empire during WWI

Pattern 14 Enfield, actually manufactured in the US during WWI and based off a mauser action. didn't catch on with english troops so the P14 was scrapped. te P14 design was modified to take 30-06 instead of 303 and was made for the US military as the US model 1917 30 cal and was given the misnomer Enfield 1917, P17 or most common American Enfield.

NO4MK1 made in England to replace the NO1 MKIII leading up to WWII. IIRC australia and india continued to use no1 MKIIIs throughout WWII while the brits and Canadians went with the newer NO4.

NO4 MK1* was made by Savage arms in the US and Long Branch in Canada and sold to great britain under the land lease act. in order to ease production the different bolt release was made to get rid of moving parts among other small modifications.

NO5 MK1 most often called the Jungle Carbine was made at the end of WWII as is a semi sporterized variant of the no4 MK1 action with lightening cuts throughout to cut down on weight.

NO4 MKII is a post WWII production rifle that never saw actual war time service. they are highly sought after just due to the relatively small numbers in which they were made and the fact that many have never been fired.

Page generated in 0.02940 seconds with 8 queries