View Single Post
Old February 9, 2014, 11:53 AM   #14
buck460XVR

If you are a new handgun shooter, you need to start @ a realistic distance. 25 yards would be max in MHO. 15 would be better. If SD is your priority, than 7 yards is an accepted distance. Accuracy is a relative thing. If you keep everything within a 2'' circle @ 10 yards, that will be a 10" circle @ 50. For an average shooter with a P226, that would certainly be more than acceptable.

First find out if your gun is accurate with the ammo you are using. Use a bench with bags or a rest and shoot to see consistency and to make sure the gun is shooting to POA. Then, once you know how accurate the gun is with the ammo you are using, you can see how your shooting technique influences it. Big part of consistent accuracy with a handgun is always using the same ammo.

Distance, how you shoot and what you shoot at is determined by where you shoot. Some gun ranges are very strict about targets and offer a very limited distance for handgun shooting. If you are like me and have access to several different places to shoot that allow any distance you want and any target you want, consider yourself lucky. Shooting at various distances helps to keep shooting fun, as do targets that react when you shoot. For me, shooting paper gets old after the gun is sighted in. While I still use silhouettes for SD/HD practice, I like things like steel plates, bowling pins, clay pigeons on the berm and other things from the dollar store that break or explode when shot. I use a bowling pin on a string similar to the tennis ball mentioned earlier in this thread. About 40 yards with a bottom feeder, 20-30 more with hunting type revolvers.

Page generated in 0.05523 seconds with 8 queries